I just returned to Cerritos College after the Summer break and when I was checking out the snacks at the Bookstore, I found more new snack bars. One of them caught my attention. It claims that it is dipped in Real Dark Chocolate and it only has 2g Sugar with No Maltitol and other artificial sweeterners. Maltitol is a sugar alcohol which is usually being used to replace real sugar in low sugar products. It will be interesting to see how a chocolate coated snack bar with only 2g sugar taste like. To my surprise, the bar taste pretty good ! The sweetness is just right and it does not have bitterness after taste from the sugar substitute.
When I checked on their website, they explain that Real Dark Chocolate means they do not substitute cocoa butter with palm oil in their chocolate. The FDA has not set a strict standard that defines what can be labeled dark chocolate, so there are other products that labeled dark chocolate but they are actually just chocolate flavored palm oil. They also claim that Palm oil compromises the taste and texture of the chocolate, as well as negating the health benefits of dark chocolate.
What is it?
NugoSlim Bar: Brownie Crunch (it comes in a variety of flavors)
Serving size: 1 bar (45 g) Calories: 190 Total fat: 6 g Saturated Fat 2.5 g Trans fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 160 mg Total Carbs: 19 g Fiber: 7 g Sugars: 2 g Protein: 16 g Iron: 8% Calcium: 8 %
Allergen Statement: Contains Peanuts, Almonds, Milk and Soy. Manufactured on equipment that also processes products containing tree nuts and egg.
Why did it picked?
1. Research has shown that Dark Chocolate may help maintain good cholesterol (HDL), lower blood pressure, elevate mood, reduce stress, and increase endurance when consumed before a workout. This product claims that they are the only company to use Real Dark Chocolate to coat their bars so they can secure the benefits people get from real Dark Chocolate.
2. It has 7 g of fiber which is equals to fiber from 2-3 slices of bread or 2-3 cups of vegetables. It is a great source of fiber and it helps to bring down it's glycemic index.
3. As a low-glycemic snack. It can help to prevent blood sugar fluctuation for Diabetes.
4. It has 16 g of Protein which equals to the protein from 2 classes of milk. This means that the bar will digest slowly for prolonged levels of satiety and energy.
5. It comes with a wide varieties and you can go on their website to click your needs and they will choose the bars for you. They made bars for Diabetes and Dialysis patients. They also have Vegan, Gluten-Free, Organic and Non-GMO options.
6. Substitute the chocolate candy bar with this Bar as an afternoon snack to get the benefits and energy without getting too much sugar which will make you sluggish.
Where to get it? Sprouts, Whole Foods, and Gelsons or online.
If you want to share your discovery of any tasty and healthy snacks, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.