Healthy Snacks for Chinese New Year
Happy Chinese New Year! Wish you a happy and healthy year of the Rooster! The traditional treats for Chinese New Year are usually high in fat and sugar. Here are some suggestions for how to put together a Healthy Tray of Togetherness (a red or gold box filled with goodies / treats for guests to pick for good luck). They can also serve as healthy daily snacks.
Healthy Snacks Ideas for the Healthy Tray of Togetherness:
1. Fresh Fruits: such as fresh cranberries or kumquat (1/2 cup) – 30 calories, 2g of fibers, rich in Vitamin C.
2. Almonds (1 ounce / 28 grams) – 160 calories, 14g of fat (unsaturated), 3g of fibers, rich in Iron and Calcium. People who are trying to lose weight should limit consumption to 10 pieces each time because Nuts are high in calories and fat.
3. Wasabi Peas (1/3 cup or 30g) – 140 calories, they are crunchy but low in fat and can be used to replace deep fried snacks.
4. Dried fruit mix (raisins, cherries, blueberries, cranberries) each ¼ cup – 150 calories, 3g of fibers, rich in Vitamin A. Great substitutes for candies. Since it is high in natural sugar, people with diabetes or weight problems should limit consumption to 1 tablespoon each time).
5. Dried banana crisps (1 ounce / 28 grams) – 120 calories, baked or freeze dried. They are good substitute for Chocolate coins. Other kinds of fruit crisps are also great snacks.
6. Dark chocolate (4 grams) – 23 calories, 3.5g of fat, rich in antioxidants but is high in saturated fat. Recommended consumption is 1-2 pieces at a time.
7. Rice crackers (1 ounce / 28 grams) – 130 calories, 4g of fat, they are considered as a low-fat, crunchy substitutes for deep fried crispy snacks.
Interested in learning about weight goal and nutrition needs? Schedule a free body weight and fat% analysis with Hazel at 626-283-5128 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.